Special Issue on Sustainable Manufacturing for Transportation
In light of the growing concerns surrounding climate change and the increasing strain on our planet's finite resources, the pursuit of sustainable approaches in manufacturing vehicles and infrastructure related to transportation —the sector with the largest environmental footprint— is imperative. By incorporating environmentally-conscious methodologies, such as the development of advanced lightweight materials, the implementation of energy-efficient technologies, and the adoption of waste reduction strategies, manufacturers can significantly reduce the carbon footprint and overall environmental impact of transportation systems. Advanced life cycle assessment (LCA) tools enable the comprehensive evaluation of environmental burdens associated with raw material extraction, production, usage, and end-of-life disposal, thereby identifying areas for improvement and facilitating informed decision-making. Furthermore, the integration of circular economy principles promotes material recovery and recycling, minimizing resource depletion and waste generation. The incorporation of digital technologies and new advancements in data analytics can further optimize manufacturing processes, improve energy management, and support the development of innovative transportation solutions. Ultimately, the adoption of sustainable practices in transportation manufacturing is not only vital for mitigating climate change and preserving finite resources but also instrumental in enhancing societal well-being, economic resilience, and global competitiveness in the emerging green economy.
As such, this special issue invites authors to submit their high-quality research and review papers on the topic of "Sustainable Manufacturing for Transportation." We are particularly interested in research that explores innovative strategies, technologies, and policies to address the environmental and societal impacts of transportation manufacturing while maintaining economic viability.
Topics of interest for this special issue include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced materials and manufacturing processes for lightweighting vehicle components
- Life cycle assessment and environmental impact analysis of transportation manufacturing
- Waste reduction, recycling, and circular economy strategies in transportation manufacturing
- Energy-efficient manufacturing technologies for transportation components and systems
- Integration of renewable energy sources and energy storage in transportation manufacturing facilities
- Digitalization, Industry 4.0, and data-driven approaches to sustainable transportation manufacturing
- Innovative design methodologies for environmentally-friendly transportation systems
- Policy and regulatory frameworks for promoting sustainable transportation manufacturing
- Case studies on the implementation of sustainable manufacturing practices in the transportation sector
- Interdisciplinary research connecting sustainable manufacturing with transportation system operation and maintenance
For more information, please contact the Guest Editors:
Dr. Saeed Farahani
Cleveland State University, USA
Dr. Gustavo Vargas-Silva
The Public University of Navarre, Spain
Dr. Hakan Kazan
Amasya University, Turkey
Deadline to submit manuscripts for consideration: December 31, 2023
Please submit your article at https://www.editorialmanager.com/saej-steep and include a submission note in Editorial Manager to indicate that it is for this special issue.